2º ENSINO MÉDIO
DATA DE ENTREGA: 16/08/2011
TEXT: MODERN PARADOXES
General Comprehension – Finding the main idea
Which of these sentences from the text best summarizes its main idea (and not just the details)?
1. We have bigger houses and smaller families.
2. It is a time when technology brings this message to you.
3. We know much about the Moon and Mars.
4. We have more possessions, but fewer values.
5. We read too little, watch too much TV.
Scan the text to find the words that are antonyms of the words below.
Words in Context
Complete the sentences with the correct words, as adequate:
1. You should *** drinking if you are going to drive.
a. Bring b. hit c. avoid d. choose e. sell
2. You have a clear option here: you can *** drink water or not drive.
a. Either b. each other c. less d. more e. less and less
3. If you drive too *** you may have an accident.
a. Long b. short c. tall d. large e.fast
4. When you get an interesting message on the Internet, you should ***.
a. Pass it on b. hit “delete” c. get angry d. sell it e. avoid it
5. A *** kid lives on the streets.
a. Slow b. selfish c. homeless d. shallow e. luxurious
6. If you often eat at fast food restaurants you may ***.
a. Make a difference b. become overweight
b. c. choose a bag of cookies d. have more leisure
c. e. drink too much
7. The good life is inspired by love and guided by ***. (Bertrand Russell)
a. The Moon b. profits c. digestion
b. d. masters e. knowledge